If you'd like to minimize your risk in starting a business, StartupNation.com has come up with a list of businesses you can start on a shoestring budget. Here's what they have in common:
=> Most can be a home-based business
=> Some require a license or certification
If you like working with children, consider:
1) Tutoring. The Federal law, No Child Left Behind, creates a mandate for children to pass test standards before moving to the next grade.
2) Child Care Provider. The single-parent population is large and needs childcare assistance, especially outside of the traditional working hours.
If you like working with older people, consider:
3) Haircare and Makeup Provider. The growing "graying" population in nursing homes and assisted living facilities offers a new market for hair and makeup products and services.
If you like preparing food, consider:
4) Catering. Have dreams of opening a restaurant? Get your feet wet first with a catering business where the risk is lowering and you can practice your skills.
If you are naturally organized, consider:
5) Party Planning. Today's celebrations - birthdays, anniversaries, bar and mat mitzvahs, graduations - can all involve a lot of planning. Plan the party or offer complimentary services such as balloons, invitations or party favors.
6) Personal Organizer. There is a need for help with organizing home offices, closets and storage solutions and downsizing after accumulating a life's worth of possessions. Learn how to get certified by the National Association of Professional Organizers.
7) Cleaning and Lawn Service. Time-starved households need help with these recurring chores. One specialty area is designing and maintaining flower beds.
If you want to use your business or technical skills, consider:
8) Financial Services and Business Consultant. You can command high rates if you have the knowledge, experience and track record to offer these professional services to businesses and individuals.
9) Computer Services. Offer in-home support either getting a computer out of the box and operating or troubleshooting software problems.
10) Online Instructor. Online colleges, universities and training companies serve millions of students. If you have an advanced desgree or particular area of expertise, you can sell your services as an online instructor.
Is there a business idea here that matches your interests and strengths?